After the overwhelming success of the Santro in India, Hyundai Motor India
introduced the i10 on November 2007. The car became an instant crowd-puller because of its looks, performance and mileage.
The car comes in two engine variants: 1.1L iRDE in-line 4-Cylinder and 1.2L Kappa in-line 4-Cylinder. The 5-speed manual transmission comes standard across all i10 models. However, the 4-speed automatic gearbox is available on the Kappa engine variants for a smooth shift in transmission. The Hyundai i10
is one of the best selling small cars
that come with automatic transmission. The car is selling over 1,600 automatic transmission variants per month, which is much more than the company's initial estimates.
Hyundai Motors India has introduced an automatic transmission variant in its Verna sedan after witnessing the huge demand for the automatic variant of the Hyundai i10. The car company now says that the automatic version of the Verna sedan has boosted the sale of the Verna.
The Honda City
is one of the first cars in India to come with an automatic transmission in the C-Segment. Honda Siel Cars India (HSCI) has revealed that there is a brisk sale of the automatic transmission variant compared to the manual transmission variant. The previous generation of the City was doing 5 per cent for automatic transmission (AT) but now nearly 14 per cent of the City’s sales come from it.
Honda has also revealed that 51 per cent of the Accords
sold in India today are fitted with automatic transmission. This perhaps explains the growing maturity of the Indian car buyer who have perhaps realised that choosing an automatic transmission gearbox no longer means big sacrifices in mileage and performance.
The luxurious Mercedes-Benz C-Class
constitutes around 40 per cent of the company’s total sales in India. Out of 100 per cent of the C-Class sold in India, 87 per cent can be attributed to the automatic transmission and the remaining 13 per cent goes to the manual transmission version.
The German automobile marquee Mercedes-Benz
has also revealed that for their entry-level products in Indian car market, they have seen a growth in automatic transmission from 60 per cent to 80 per cent in a span of seven years.
As automatic transmission reduces the risk of wear and tear of the car in the long run, buyers prefer the automatic version for chauffeur-driven cars.
The Superb from the Czech car maker Skoda
is available only in automatic version. The luxury sedan comes either with a 7-speed Automatic Transmission gearbox or a 6-speed Triptonic Automatic Transmission. The Skoda Superb is one of the best selling cars in the luxury car segment.
The Superb has edged out the Toyota Camry and other cars from topnotch carmakers in the premium segment like BMW India, Honda Siel Cars, Hyundai Motor and Mercedes-Benz.
Recently, the sales of the Skoda Laura
Automatic Transmission have gone up by almost 10 per cent. The Laura is available in a 5-Speed Manual Transmission (MT) and a 6-Speed Manual Transmission (MT) as well. It has been reported that nearly 20 per cent of Laura’s sales now come from the Automatic Transmission version.
Since, the price difference between manual gearbox and automatic gearbox has come down over the years, customers do not mind paying a minimal amount more and opting for the automatic gearbox. Moreover, customers are now convinced about the advantages of the automatic gearbox.
The Chevrolet Captiva
was equipped with an automatic variant because of huge demand for the automatic gearbox. General Motors has noticed that the automatic variant of this model sells more than the manual gearbox. The automatic gearbox comes with a four-wheel drive.
Mahindra & Mahindra’s
flagship model, the Scorpio is available with both manual and automatic gearbox. The automatic version is available only in the top-end variant, it has been seen that the top-end variant sells more compared to the base one. The automatic transmission of the mighty Scorpio is fitted with user engaged and auto engaged modes for an excellent driving experience. Under the user engaged mode is the 'N' and 'W'. 'N' is the normal mode for ordinary driving conditions and 'W' is the winter mode that can be switched over to on icy and slippery roads to improve the car's stability. It also has an additional 'M' mode that is the manual/engine brake mode that utilizes braking force of the engine for enhanced control on steep descents.
The Volkswagen Jetta comes in manual and automatic variants. The automatic Jetta is preferred more by car buyers compared to the manual version.