Hybrid cars are believed to be the ‘car of the future’. It is the latest advancement in the automotive industry. Car manufacturers were in a constant search of fuel economy engines and the introduction of hybrids brought some drops of relief to the manufacturers.
have dual engines: gasoline and electric powered engines. Gasoline engines are not used for running the car but are used for charging the electric engines. The first hit of hybrid cars was made overseas and recently the Honda Seil India came up with its innovative technology with the introduction of the Honda Civic Hybrid
After Honda, other auto majors like the Tata Motors, Toyota and Hyundai Motors
are also planning to introduce hybrids to India.
Though these cars have brought a great revolution in the global car industry, people are witnessing both positive and negative sides of hybrid vehicles.
Compiled here is a comparative list of advantages and disadvantages of hybrid cars:
Advantages of Hybrids
Here are some of the advantages of hybrid cars:
- The primary advantage of hybrid vehicles is reduced pollution. Driven by electric powered engines, these cars produce fewer emissions as compare to petrol driven cars.
- Tax on hybrid cars are less as compared to gasoline cars.
- Increasing the number of hybrid cars will also be advantageous in reducing dependencies on oil and eventually conserving the natural oil resources that is depleting at a faster pace.
- These are costly in the initial stage but are lighter on pockets in long run as there is no need to fuel the car with gasoline.
- Hybrids offer better mileage.
- The wearing out of spare parts drastically reduces because there is nothing that causes friction in the engine and damages the spare parts.
- They offer low cost of maintenance.
- Another great advantage is the regenerative braking that serves as a generator and charger to charge the batteries.
- Tyres of hybrid cars are harder and more inflated as compared to conventional cars.
Apart from having certain advantages, hybrid cars also have several disadvantages that pulls people away from making a decision of purchasing a hybrid. Here are some of the disadvantages of hybrid cars:
- Hybrid cars are more expensive than conventional cars. With a high cost price, it really becomes difficult for car buyers to make the initial purchase.
- Hybrid is a completely new technology and so is not tested well for safety measures. It can lead to obstacles while driving.
- These are lighter in weight as compared to conventional cars. This makes hybrids more prone to car accidents. In case of a collision with regular gasoline cars, hybrids are expected to cause higher degree of damage to the car as well as the occupants.
- Heavy storm can blow off a hybrid from the ground.
- Even though hybrids don’t give out emissions while running on roads, they produce double the amount of pollution during the manufacturing process.
- Hybrid cars lack accelerative power.
- Cold weather affects the working of batteries and hampers the performance of hybrids.
Though the hybrids have few drawbacks, they are widely gaining fame as it’s not dependent on the crude oil. Well, the future only holds the destiny of hybrids.